Sunday 28 August 2011

First post

So I thought I'd start a blog... Why not?

I'll be focusing on the Swedish team AIK, primarily their hockey section, but also the football section to some extent.

To give you some information on the club, AIK was founded in 1891 and is short for "Allmänna Idrottsklubben" (in English: The general sports club). We have had success in many different areas, just a week ago AIK golf won the Swedish championship, and if I'm not mistaken we also won an "SM-gold" in bowling a while ago.

The two main sections are the football team and the ice hockey team, AIK football won the premier Swedish league (Allsvenskan) in 2009. With seven games left of 2011 years season we are in the third place, hoping to stay there and get the chance to play the Europa league next year.

The hockey team advanced to the highest league in Sweden (Elitserien) in the season 2009/2010. In the season 2010/2011 we were enormous underdogs, and every expert tipped us loosing every game of the season. Shortly said, the experts were wrong. AIK became the best new team in Swedens history, reaching the playoffs and there beating last years champions with 4-0 in games. Unfortunately the dream stopped there and we were beaten in the semi's by Färjestad.

The main focus on the blog will be ice hockey, as I mentioned. I found my season pass in the mailbox a few weeks ago, I won't be missing a game! And for the away games I don't have time to go to i this year have every tv-channel showing ice hockey, to make sure I don't miss a game.

The premier match is roughly two weeks away, and will be played against Timrå on the 15th of September. AIK have managed to keep most of last years troop, and especially our outstanding goalie Viktor Fasth, who was named the world cup's MVP. Even though there were a lot of NHL contract offers available to him, he chose to stay in AIK. I reckon we'll have a good chance getting high up in the league this year even though the experts don't (the showed last year how competent they were anyway...).

To finsih off I came home from Råsunda, the football team's stadium, a few hours ago. In the 91st minute Robert Åhman Persson scored 1-0 for AIK giving us 3 very important points.

I'll be back soon to give you an update on how the preseason is going!

No comments:

Post a Comment